HTML Pages Pics


Click to visit our brand new site!

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Moss Letters Tutorial and Some Fun with Textures

******************

Our shop will only be open for two more days. 
We will be open today, the 24th and then will be closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday and then will reopen Monday the 28th which will be our last day until August! 

************************************


A few weeks ago I got the most recent Pottery Barn in the mail. The past few months I have been so busy that for the most part I haven't even sat down to look through any magazines or catalogs. This time however we had gotten the mail as we were headed out in the car and Jon was driving so I opened it up and started looking through. Immediately I fell in love with two or three of the pages filled with Easter and spring decor!  There was a table setting that had eggs that spelled out Happy Easter and then there were some moss letters that quickly became projects I knew I wanted to do. The next day Lillie and I made a trip to the craft store to get supplies and over the past few weeks have made a whole bunch of Easter and spring projects. Well, I soon realized I was not the only person inspired by this latest Pottery Barn as I have seen these ideas all over blogland lately so they are not going to be new to probably any of you. I will still show you what we did anyway, though. 

For today I will show you how we made a knock-off version of these moss letters by Pottery Barn:

Pottery Barn's letters sell for $79 EACH! (plus shipping and handling - yikes!) They are twice the size of the ones we did as they are between 18 and 20" and the ones we did are only 10" but
we were able to do ours for about $4.50 each!

I went to the craft store planning on either getting just the letter H (for our last name) if I could find a huge letter and if not then getting smaller letters to either  spell out Easter or Spring. Well, when I got there they didn't have any huge letters and the smaller 10" letters they did have were completely picked through. I couldn't spell out Easter or Spring and my next 3 or 4 backup words were missing letters too. I felt like I was playing scrabble trying to figure out what in the world I could spell with the handful of letters they had left. Finally I realized I could spell HOME and even though it wouldn't have been my first choice I figured it would still work nicely. I also would have preferred the darker moss color to this brighter color but they were cleaned out of the darker moss so I just went with what they had, which was the bright green.

So here's how to make them. 
It is SUPER easy but it does take a decent amount of time and is REALLY messy!

What you need:
Letter(s)
Hot Glue 
Moss

1). Start with the first letter and get your glue gun ready.

2) Now just put some hot glue on the letter and start sticking the moss on. 
Work in small sections so that the glue won't dry on you.

3) Once you have the top done turn it over and go around the sides.

4) Continue working your way around the side until you are back 
where you started and that is it!  You are done!





I have several more Easter/Spring projects to show you over the next week or two.
I just need to get them photographed.

A few weeks ago I got some of Florabella's new textures and for the first time actually opened them up last night and started playing with a few. Memoir II quickly became my favorite and I had fun playing around with it. I didn't have any new pictures of Lillie to play with last night so I just used it on some of my favorite pictures of her from the past few months.




And lastly I have two of these pillows that are now for sale in our shop.


I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday and be sure to check back this weekend 
for another GIVEAWAY!

46 comments:

  1. Girl, I love your knock off textures MUCH better! Great job.

    Those textures are just wonderful, Lillie looks angelic as always!

    Big hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this! I love it. I love your blog and am inspired by every post. Your home is beautiful.

    Where did you get you couch in your living room? I'm having a hard time finding what I want that is not an arm and a leg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your letters look wonderful~and they will last longer than if it said Easter...Your photo playing of Lillie's pics are darling, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely Love this project! You did a wonderful job recreating these! Thank you oh much for the inspiration, as always!! Love the textures on the sweet pics as well, darling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this amazing tutorial. I grow my own moss and have some letters already made. Great Idea, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this project. Your home is beautiful it has given me so much inspiration. Lillie is beautiful.

    XO, Kirtley

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! LOVE the photos of Lillie. would love some tips on layering... I don't have a clue :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those letters. I'm going to have to try that. The pictures of Lillie are beautiful. that's a great program.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful idea. Thank you, for sharing the tutorial.
    Your daughter is beautiful and your photography is amazing! I love these photos.

    have a happy day~ L

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just bought supplies to make these yesterday! I was thinking it would be super quick and easy - thanks for the heads up that it takes awhile. I'm excited to make them!

    Your daughter (and your photos) are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! I really like how yours turned out. I'm going to have to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. they are beautiful!!!! along with just about everything else you do lady!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your letters turned out great and I think the home sentiment is perfect. It can stay up longer then if you had done Easter.

    Great idea. I hope I find the time to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful little girl you have, the letters are wonderful! I think I am going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i've seen these around blogland too and haven't tried it yet but i've wanted to! badly. i finally have a weekend off and since it's going to be wayyyy to cold to be in the garage working on painting projects (d*** this Ohio weather!!!) maybe i'll get around to some fun crafty stuff. like these moss letters. and, finishing my ottoman slipcover so i can share your tutorial too!

    i also went all copycat and crammed an antique buffet behind our newly madeover dining table because i loved your setup so much! it needs refinished so i can't share it yet but i already love having another piece of furniture there and extra storage too!

    have a lovely weekend, lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have been contemplating making a big one for our front door and now I am totally going to try it! I love anything Florabella puts out, but that first picture with the texture is stunning! How could it not be on such a cutie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. When my little one wakes up we're definitely heading out to get a letter and some moss!!!

    And, I cannot get over how beautiful your daughter is. Absolutely gorgeous :)

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jennifer, your moss letters look great. PB has some extreme prices on some things. Love the textured photos of Lillie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the moss letters. And those textures on the photos are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooooh love these letters!!! I want some! I wonder if my kids would pick the moss to death!

    Pictures look stunning! I almost want to get photo shop now =(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous!! I think I may try the moss letters this weekend... we have "G"s of all shapes sizes and materials all over our house. Why not add a moss "G" Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your little one is stunning! The pics are amazing. You have a true gift.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous photo's...and I agree with B's Mommy...you have a gift! Love the moss letters too! ~Deb~

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great idea,what an fabulous tutorial.Letters are looking great in this pictures.Specially Home letter is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jennifer,

    Those moss letters are darling!!! I might even attempt those:) Shana from Florabella is one of my best friends. We talk almost daily. I LOVE all of her stuff but even more she is a GREAT person.

    I am going to go check out the shop before it closes. Kate's b-day is in June and she wants a ballerina party so I need to order some tutus. I just am not sure what I/she wants yet. And I want to get one for each of her guests as well.


    Thank you for mentioning my last comment. I almost deleted it because I wasn't sure if I should have written all that but something compelled me to. I am glad you will be taking lots of time for you hubby and girls and for yourself too!!!

    Best,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Jennifer. I just came by after reading about you one of my favorite blogs, Tracy's Beneath My Heart. She's so sweet and a has a wonderful blog.

    I'm so glad she shared yours. The pictures of your daughter are so beautiful. She'll be one happy lady to have such wonderful photos from her Mother when she grows up. I love your decorating and thanks for sharing your tutorial too. I can see now that I'm going to want to visit often and read back over a lot of your past post. I'm following you on GFC as tonasun.

    Have a great weekend...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the tutorial on mossy letters and the photography tips on textures. I love getting a "high" end look for not a lot of cost!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just cannot get over how seriously adorable Lillie is!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your letters look awesome - I think I've found my weekend project!

    And Lillie is beautiful! Love that first picture....those lashes are to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now these I LOVE!!! I am not very crafty but I might just have to try this! Thanks Jeni!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I actually really like the bright green moss...it brings a springtime pop to the room...I might try to find a giant "T" for our last name or "G-U-S"for my baby boy's room or even "A-B-O-D-E" for our living room...thanks for the inspiration! And your sweet Lillie looks precious as a "vintage" baby...

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is such a great springtime project! And it looks great in this room!

    I found you on pinterest, and I'm featuring you as my pinterest pick this week at my Friday Favorites party. I'd love for you to come by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Send us an email when its up and we'll check it out :)

      Delete
  33. where do you get the letters from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got those particular ones at Michael's, although most craft places carry something similar.

      Delete
  34. Hi Jennifer. Love your blog. If you don't mind me asking...I was wondering what kind of moss you used on this project & where did you buy it? Thanks for sharing all your fabulous ideas. Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I am not sure what this particular moss was called but I got it at Michael's and it came in a bag. Not sure if that helps or not. =) Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  35. Thank you so much Jennifer. I was able to get the moss at Michaels and I just finished making my own. They came out great. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Was your moss in small bags or large? I just found a large bag of moss at hobby lobby tonight but it's a very coarse, dry moss and it looks different from yours. Thinking I need to exchange tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been over a year since I made those so I can't remember but I think small bags.

      Delete
  37. Hi,love the letters!! So cute!! How did you get the photos textured that way, what is "Memoir II"??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! As mentioned in the post, "Memoir II" is a texture from Florabella Collection that I added on top of the photo.

      Delete
  38. Hello,
    I made moss letters (L and B) for my wedding--I'm going to hang them on the doors of the church. The only thing is that they keep shedding! Any tips to stop this from happening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm....maybe you could try spraying them with something. I am not really sure. I didn't really have much trouble with shedding. I helped me a huge Q and L recently for a wedding and I don't think they shed much either. Maybe it was a different type of moss? I am sorry I can't be of more help. =(

      Delete
  39. I want a tutorial about your most gorgeous piece of art. That little girl's face is awesome.
    The cutest ever.
    XOXO,
    CRIS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...